So you have completed the IOSH Managing Safely course. A natural next step after achieving the IOSH qualification is NEBOSH General Certificate.
NEBOSH is relevant to every workplace and ideal for managers, supervisors or anybody with health and safety responsibilities. It is ideal for anyone who needs a broad understanding of health and safety issues and to be able to manage day to day risks effectively. Many people take the NEBOSH General Certificate as a first step in their career in health and safety. It will provide invaluable knowledge and skills and is a globally respected qualification and is trusted by many prestigious organisations. NEBOSH looks at everyday solutions for general health and safety issues, this is the reason it is one of the most popular higher-level health and safety qualifications.
Why should I complete a NEBOSH after IOSH Managing Safely?
The IOSH Managing Safely course is designed to give you a broad understanding of the health and safety fundamentals. If you have completed this course, you will have a foundation of health and safety knowledge to build up on with the NEBOSH General Certificate. The NEBOSH General Certificate goes into much more detail on topics that are covered on the IOSH Managing Safely course and you will be qualified to identify, evaluate and control a wide range of workplace hazards. Like the IOSH Managing Safely Course, it is relevant to all types of industries – another reason it is such a popular course.
In short, if you have a NEBOSH National General Certificate, then at work you may become the go-to person on health and safety matters and be asked to consult on any decisions made by senior leaders. You may even be given a health and safety responsibility as a result of your new qualification (which is likely if you are the only one with this qualification in your workplace).
Benefits for you after you have completed the NEBOSH General Certificate qualification:
- Justify the need for health and safety improvements
- Identify and control common workplace hazards
- Advise on duties under the main pieces of UK health and safety legislation
- Help your organisation to manage contracts
- Work within a health and safety system
- Positively influence health and safety culture and behaviour
- Confidently carry out risk assessment using a 5-step approach in your workplace
- Develop and implement a detailed action plan
- Manage and minimise workplace risks
- Support and develop your company’s health and safety culture
- Recognise workplace changes and their impacts and understand how to minimise the impacts
- Develop basic safe systems of work that include emergency arrangements and know when to us a permit to work system
- Take part in incident investigations
- Help your employer check the effectiveness of health and safety management system through monitoring, auditing, and review
NEBOSH after IOSH benefits to your employer
Once you have completed your NEBOSH qualification you will be an asset to your employer, you will make a difference in the workplace with your knowledge, understanding and skills to help protect the health and safety of all workers. You will also be able to help your employer to comply with the law and good practice, as well as help them avoid the costs from incidents and ill-health.
It is always of benefit to have in-house knowledge, especially when it comes to health and safety. Having staff that are able to deal with different health and safety scenarios that companies face on a day-to-day basis and are able to educate others in your business on best practices is a huge bonus. Most people who move on to complete a NEBOSH after IOSH with us are usually not in the health and safety industry but come from a range of businesses looking to up-level their health and safety knowledge and skills.
NEBOSH General Certificate Syllabus:
- Why we should manage workplace health and safety
- How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
- Managing risk – understanding people and processes
- Health and safety monitoring and measuring
- Physical and psychological health
- Musculoskeletal health
- Chemical and biological agents
- General workplace issues
- Work equipment
The NEBOSH National General Certificate has two parts to it’s assessment:
NG1 – OBE (Open Book Exam)
The open book examination is designed to test your knowledge and ability as it would be used in a real-world scenario rather than testing your memory it tests your application of health and safety knowledge. You’ll have 24 hours to complete your open book. You must attend closing interviews via Zoom within 1 week of completing your NG1 exam.
NG2 – Practical Risk Assessment
The aim of the practical assessment is to show you now have the skills to complete a risk assessment of your workplace. Perfect to show off your new skills and apply them right away in a real-world situation. NEBOSH advise it should take around 3-6 hours to complete.
You can find lots about the assessment on the NEBOSH Website under the ‘resource page’.
Want to know more about the NEBOSH General Certificate?
Read our blogs:
- How Can I prepare for my NEBOSH General Certificate course?
- Should I do a NEBOSH General Certificate?
- Online NEBOSH Courses – Virtual Classroom