What NRSWA Course Do I Need?

Posted on written by Marvin

What NRSWA course do I need - Project Skills Solutions

If you work in the construction industry, you may have been told you need to take a NRSWA course. But you may be wondering what a NRSWA course is…which is probably the reason why you have come to our blog! However you can rest assure, in this blog we will discuss what they are and what course you should take.

NRSWA Courses

NRSWA (New Roads and Street Works Act) courses are designed to provide individuals with the necessary knowledge and skills to carry out work safely on UK highways and footpaths, in compliance with the relevant legislation and regulations. These courses cover a range of topics, such as excavation, backfilling, signing, lighting, guarding, and reinstatement of highways and footpaths.

The courses are aimed at individuals who may need to carry out street works as part of their job, such as utility companies, contractors, and local authorities.

NRSWA courses are divided into different units, depending on the level of training required.

By completing an NRSWA course, individuals will gain a good understanding of the regulations and guidelines governing street works, as well as the practical skills needed to carry out the work safely and competently. This includes knowledge of the different types of materials and equipment required, as well as the techniques needed to excavate and reinstate highways and footpaths.

“What NRSWA Course Do I Need?”

This is a common question those who operate in street works encounter with. Although you may be aware you need to take a NRSWA course, you’re probably asking yourself “what NRSWA course do I need?”. Which is why we have created a questionnaire to help you find out what NRSWA course you need to take. Try this quiz online which will recommend a course based on your answers!

Project Skills Solutions - What NRSWA course do I need?

NRSWA Operative

You will need the NRSWA Operative course if you carry out the manual excavation and reinstatement of footpaths and highways. Our full NRSWA Operative courses start at just £560+vat, we have training venues across the UK. To book or find out more just call 0800 0213 263 or visit our Operative page.

If your job role requires you to supervise others carrying out manual streetworks you will need a supervisor course, you can take both courses, however, you can’t actively perform the role of supervisor and operative at the same time whilst working.

NRSWA Supervisor

You will need the NRSWA Supervisor course if you supervise others whilst they work on site. Any street work site must have a qualified supervisor appointed. The supervisor does not need to be on site at all times, but must be able to carry out the role.

To book or find out more just call 0800 0213 263 or visit our Supervisor page.

NRSWA Reassessment

If your streetworks card is about to, or has already, expired, you will need to take a NRSWA Reassessment course. Following new regulations that came into force in 2010 you are required to take a reassessment course to continue working on the roads. If you do not take the reassessment course you will be required to sit the full course again if your card remains expired for more than 5 years.

To book or find out more just call 0800 0213 263 or visit our Reassessment page.

6 Responses to “What NRSWA Course Do I Need?”

  1. Martin

    I have a supervisor ticket so can I act as an operative if there is another supervisor on site ?

    • Sam Barton

      Hi Martin,

      The short answer is no, we’ve always advised that you cannot be an operative without an operative card, the supervisor card doesn’t outweigh the operative one, they’re just designed for different roles on site.

      Your best bet is to ask your local council, where you’re working, and see if they’ll allow it. It’s unlikely but all councils are different, so there’s a chance they might let you.

      I hope that helps.


  2. Andy

    I have a 3 man gang am I right in thinking only 1 of us has to have nrasw ticket ?

    • Sam Barton

      Hi Andy,
      That can be the case but it will depend on your local council, I’d recommend you give the council a call and check with them.

  3. Kat Ely

    Hi Frank, if you are just setting out the signs and are doing no digging or reinstatement you might just need unit 2, signing, lighting and guarding. If you have any questions you can give the training team call on 0845 130 7411.

  4. Frank

    i dont do any digging i just set out the cones and signs. what course do i need?


Leave a Reply

About Project Skills Solutions

Project Skills Solutions have been providing NRSWA training to individuals and companies since 2004. Our team are trained to give you the very best advice in your course selection and focussed on customer service.
Read More »