This blog highlights the keywords and pages to prepare you for your NRSWA (Street works) course.
It also will talk about the different ways people commonly refer to the units.
Keywords and phrases on the NRSWA (Street Works) Course
- Siting distance – This is the positioning distance of the road works ahead sign to the start of your site.
- Safety zone – This is the coned area around your working space or temporary walkway, and it’s designed to keep the traffic separate from the workers/pedestrians.
- Working Space – This is the barriered off area where plant manoeuvres around and tools and materials are stored.
- Minimum Visibility Distance – This is the distance highway users (drivers) should see the first sign on your site. This can also be referred to as ‘The approach visibility’.
- TSRGD (TSR (NI) – The TSRGD (TSR (NI) is the legislation document that governs the size, shape and style of all signs and cones.
- Traffic Flow – The number of and types of vehicles on the road. This is the main factor in deciding what traffic control is needed.
- Obstructed – The carriageway or footway is blocked with equipment or materials.
- Unobstructed – The carriageway is clear.
- Equestrian – Horses and riders.
- Portable Traffic Signal – Temporary Traffic Lights.
- Wig-Wag Signal – Light signals at a railway level crossing to control traffic (double red and amber lights at level crossings).
- Two-way working – Both carriageways remain open to traffic.
- Shuttle working – The lane left open to traffic from both directions.
Key pages in the support books
To take advantage of the information below, you will have to download the Red and Pink book.
Traffic Control Options
This section covers the main traffic control options and page number in the Red Book.
Topic Pages Give and take traffic control 56-57 Priority signs traffic control 58-59 Stop & Go traffic control 60-62 Portable traffic signals traffic control 62-66 Temporary speed reductions 67 Convoy working 68 Road closure 70 Stop work sign 72 Mobile & short duration work 83-92
This section covers the information on work equipment and page number in the Pink Book.
Topic Pages Warning Lights 94-97 Pedestrian Barriers 97 Footway Ramps 98 Footway Boards 99
The new NRSWA course codes
|NRSWA Unit||Old Code (Pre 2017)||New Code (Post 2017)|
|Location and avoidance of underground apparatus||Unit 01||Unit LA|
|Signing, lighting and guarding||Unit 02||Unit O1|
|Excavation in the highway||Unit 03||Unit O2|
|Reinstatement and compaction of backfill materials||Unit 04||Unit O3|
|Reinstatement of sub-base and road base in non-bituminous materials||Unit 05||Unit O4|
|Reinstatement in cold-lay bituminous materials||Unit 06||Unit O5|
|Reinstatement in hot-lay bituminous materials||Unit 07||Unit O6|
|Reinstatement of concrete slabs||Unit 08||Unit O7|
|Reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways||Unit 09||Unit O8|
|Monitoring signing, lighting and guarding||Unit 10||Unit S1|
|Monitoring excavation in the highway||Unit 11||Unit S2|
|Monitoring reinstatement and compaction of backfill materials||Unit 12||Unit S3|
|Monitoring reinstatement of sub-base and road base in non-bituminous materials||Unit 13||Unit S4|
|Monitoring reinstatement in bituminous materials||Unit 14||Unit S5|
|Monitoring reinstatement of concrete slabs||Unit 15||Unit S6|
|Monitoring reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footway||Unit 16||Unit S7|
Book an NRSWA
If you are interested in booking an NRSWA training course with us, you can visit the course page here or call us on 0800 0213 263.