How to get your ECS Managers Card

Posted on written by Sam Barton

Applying for your ECS managers card? We’ve broken down the steps below to make the process as simple as possible. Jump straight to the steps.

Overview of the ECS

The ECS (Electrotechnical Certification Scheme) is the only ID and competence card scheme for electrical operatives in the UK, recognised and endorsed across the industry. A lot of electrical roles will want you to hold a card relevant to your role before you start work.

ECS is a partner of CSCS (Construction Skills Certificate Scheme), there’s also a link between the ECS and the JIB (Joint Industry Board). The JIB administer the ECS scheme in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, historically only people working for JIB could get an ECS card, because of that it was often referred to as the JIB card and still is today.

Since 2002 the scheme has been available to all people working in the industry.

Types of Card

There’s an ECS card for almost any level in the industry, from Apprentices to Managers. There are cards for all types of occupation, some of the more common cards though are:

What card do you need

So what card do you need? Typically you’ll know you need an ECS Managers Card because of your occupation, the following occupations are available:

ECS Managers Black Card sample

  • Electrical Site Manager
  • Electrical Contract Manager
  • Site Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Contract Manager

If you aren’t sure if you need the card, speak to your employer or the principal contractor.

Managers card changes October 2018

Since October 2018 there have been new requirements to apply for the ECS Managers Card, if you already have the card, don’t worry, you won’t have to meet the new requirements until your card’s expiry date.

See the new steps to your card below

Steps to the manager’s card

You need to either:


  • Meet the requirements for one


  • Hold a Level 4 management qualification such as BTEC, Degree or JIB recognised qualification.

Plus, you’ll need to have successfully completed a health and safety qualification:

If you’ve completed your health and safety qualification in the last 3 years you can apply for your card.

If your health and safety qualification is older than 3 years, you’ll need to take the ECS HS&E assessment before applying.

What’s your next step? Take our quiz to find out

Requirements for ECS Gold Card

The Gold Installation Electrician ECS Gold Card is for skilled individuals able to work unsupervised on the installation, commissioning and maintenance of low voltage electrical devices and appliances.

To qualify for the card you must:

  • Have a JIB recognised UK competency-based qualification (electrotechnical Level 3 NVQ or a formal UK electrotechnical apprenticeship)
  • And, a formal BS7671 qualification in the current edition of the wiring regulations currently in force

If you do not have a level 3 qualification, you can go through the JIB Mature Candidate Assessment. You’ll be assessed on your existing skills and experience by an independent assessor.

Find out more on the ECS website.

2 Responses to “How to get your ECS Managers Card”

  1. Martin Neary

    Hello .

    I have just completed SMSTS.

    I have SJIB gold card. How do I obtain site manager card.

    • Sam Barton

      Hi Martin,

      If you completed your SMSTS within the last 3 years, plus meet the requirements or hold an ECS gold card then you can apply for your ECS managers card. You’ll need to create an account if you don’t already have one, you can find out more on how to apply at

      I hope that helps, if you have any other questions please let us know.



Leave a Reply

About Project Skills Solutions

Project Skills Solutions have been providing NRSWA training to individuals and companies since 2004. Our team are trained to give you the very best advice in your course selection and focussed on customer service.
Read More »