How To Get Your ECS Card With IOSH Working Safely

Posted on written by

A banner image stating "How To Get Your ECS Card With IOSH Working Safely" with an image of a hand holding an ECS card.

What Is The ECS?

ECS stands for the Electrotechnical Certification Scheme and is the occupational card scheme for UK Electrotechnical workers. It is the sole ID and competence card scheme for electrotechnical operatives in the UK and is recognised and endorsed by the industry.

Holding an ECS card proves your qualification status, main electrical occupation, identity, health and safety awareness and any additional disciplines in which you are skilled to work. The ECS is a partner of CSCS and covers not just core electrotechnical occupations, but specialised industries such as building controls, data communications, highway electrical and fire & security.

What Is The ECS Labourer Card?

The Electrical Labourer ECS card is for people working in the electrical industry in a supportive role, such as one with a job role of assisting electricians and other qualified staff with the installation of cables and other unskilled work, under supervision. They are to assist but not carry out any craft work that an electrician carries out. A labourer has a specific job role within the JIB grading structure.

In some situations, this card may be issued if you cannot meet the qualification requirements of other cards such as Installation Electrician. If you hold a Labourer card, you can upgrade to an ECS gold card once you have gained further qualifications.

The Eligibility & Requirements Of The ECS Labourer Card

In order to attain the ECS Labourer card, it is important to be aware of the eligibility and requirements. There are two routes delegates are able to take, based on whether you have a JIB-approved electrical qualification or not. By simply reading the questions below you can identify what route will be applicable to you.

Route One –  Do You Already Have a JIB-approved Electrical Theory Qualification?

Route Two – You Don’t Hold a JIB-approved Electrical Theory Qualification?

You will need any one of the following health and safety qualifications such as; 

  • CCNSG Safety Passport – National course or Renewal course
  • Safety Passport Alliance (SPA) Core H&S Course
  • IOSH Working Safely (IOSH approved centre classroom invigilated exam only – not online)


You Will Then Need To Sit a Separate ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment If You Passed Any Of The Above Courses Over Three Years Ago

If you have taken the courses listed above,within the last three years, you do not have to sit the separate ECS HS&E assessment.

Provide Proof Of Employment In The Electrical Industry

This needs to be in the form of a written reference from your employer to confirm you are employed by that company. View more details on what should be included in your reference. If you normally work for an employment business you should obtain a signed letter from the business to confirm your dates of engagement as an Electrical Labourer.

Where Can I Find The H&S Courses?

Here at Project Skills Solutions we offer the IOSH Working Safely course at a range of our nationwide training centres, available at competitive rates. However if your seeking to take on any of the other two courses such as the CCNSG – Safety Passport National course or Renewal course, or the Safety Pass Alliance Core H&S course, you can search online to find an alternative training provider.

How To Get Your ECS Labourer Card At Project Skills Solutions?

Aforementioned of the two routes of attaining the ECS Labourer card – which is via a JIB qualification such as the City & Guilds courses (including the 2365, 2330 or 2360). Alternatively, if you do not possess a JIB approved qualification, you must prove you’re employed within the electrical industry. To provide proof, you will need a written reference from your employer or labour agency. For further details on what to include in your reference, check out the ECS website.

Delegates will then be required to complete a health and safety course such as the IOSH Working Safely course (classroom-based only), CCNSG Safety Passport or the Safety Passport Alliance Core H&S course.

What Are The Health & Safety Course Options Available To Gain The ECS Card?

There are three health and safety courses you can take in order to attain the ECS labourer card, we have provided a breakdown of each of the health and safety courses to gain a better understanding of what each course delivers.

Project Skills Solutions Offers The IOSH Working Safely Course

Here at Project Skills Solutions, we offer the IOSH Working Safely course. We believe the IOSH Working Safely course is the best route for delegates to take. The course covers the essentials of health and safety within a workplace and is aimed for all workers within an industry, so almost anyone can take the course!

Upon completion of the course, delegates will earn the IOSH Working Safely certificate, awarded by the IOSH – the world’s largest health and safety membership organisation. Your certificate will be with you in 2-4 weeks, you’ll get regular updates on the status of your certificate all the way to your door.

IOSH Working Safely Course Breakdown

The course is split into 5 modules. You’re assessed at the end of your course with a multiple choice question paper.

Course Syllabus

Module 1 – Introducing Working Safely

Module 2 – Defining Hazard & Risk

Module 3 – Identifying Common Hazards

Module 4 – Improving Safety Performance

Study Methods

IOSH gives delegates two options to take the course, which includes online or classroom based. In order to gain your ECS card, the IOSH Working Safely course completed via an online assessment will not be accepted. So it is important to take the IOSH course within a classroom-based environment.

Step One – Select what PSS training centre you would like to take your IOSH Working Safely course by clicking here.

Step Two – Book your course via the PSS website or call our training team on 0800 0213 263, who will be more than happy to book your course over the phone.

Step Three – Attend the IOSH Working Safely course at your selected training centre, which will be for a duration of one day.

The ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment

After completion of your health and safety course, you will then be required to complete the ECS Health, Safety & Environmental Assessment. We have provided a breakdown of the steps you’ll need to follow…

Step One – You’ll need to register for a MyECS account. This is where you’ll make your application online via MyECS and will be able to track your progress from there. Click here to register now.

Step Two – You will need to apply and pass the ECS Health & Safety Assessment or have a valid exemption which includes the IOSH Working Safely course. All ECS cards will have this requirement, so it is important to have this arranged as soon as possible if needed.

Step Three – You will need to provide proof of all your qualifications and certificates to be certified or receive a card. You can upload these as scans or good quality digital photographs. ECS will not be able to certify your qualifications or issue a card without proof of meeting the requirements. Delegates are advised to have everything to hand before you start.

The H&S Assessment pass is valid for two years. You must submit your ECS application within that two-year period, or you’ll need to do a new assessment before your application can be processed. The assessment comprises of 45 questions, but you’ll need to answer at least 38 to pass. You’ll find the ECS website has a free revision booklet containing all possible questions and answers, which is advised to be revised thoroughly before taking the assessment.

How To Apply For Your ECS Card?

You will need to register for a MyECS account. You’ll be able to sign up via an application online where you’ll also be able to track your progress. Click here to register now.

You will need to provide proof of your IOSH Working Safely certificate in order to be certified and receive an ECS card. You can upload your certificate as scans or good quality digital photographs. It is important to complete this step otherwise you won’t receive your ECS card.


Leave a Reply

About Project Skills Solutions

Project Skills Solutions have been providing NRSWA training to individuals and companies since 2004. Our team are trained to give you the very best advice in your course selection and focussed on customer service.
Read More »